An Anniversary...

 




Thirty-nine years ago today, we became parents. Best and most difficult adventure of our lives.

I have to admit that since I finished parenting I’ve struggled to regain a sense of purpose in my life. Grandchildren have come close.

But I am Grandma, not Mom, which has taken me some time to accept, so there is a limit to what I should do. Still, grandparenting is full of meaning and joy, especially since I understand much better the long view of raising children.

I wish I could have had better perspective and a stronger understanding of context back when my kids were little. But it seems that the better part of parenting is not just how your children “turn out” but how you yourself do. God allows us to fail at the most important job we could ever do because it builds the character we need. The grace we need to negotiate the vagaries of life wouldn’t come without acceptance of it for our failures, and the extension of it because we know we too are weak.

God’s plan is good.

I thank Him for His grace in helping our children become good people. I thank Him for the wonderful and terrible times of parenting. So much good has come of it.

And for you who are in the thick of it, when the terrible times seem more than the wonderful, accept grace. It’s not supposed to be easy. It is HARD and so much is unknown. And give grace. The accomplishment of this adventure depends more on God than it does on you. So don’t be proud and compulsive about getting everything right. God will use your kids to help you learn humility. Remember that you need it.

Anyway – Happy Birthday to our Firstborn. Thanks for the taking the brunt of our inexperience and gracefully loving us in spite of it!

Comments

Anonymous said…
When is your next blog coming out we have not seen one for quite a while
Anonymous said…
We read every one
Les Hon said…
Thank you! I hope to get going with my blog again soon. I have to say that changes in the world because of the pandemic left me reluctant to say as much publicly as I had before. But I do miss sharing.
Anonymous said…
Thank you for the reminder of grace in parenting.
My recent re-read of Phillip Yancey’s “What’s So Amazing about Grace” may be of a blessing to you. 💕

Popular Posts