September

 


The old girl has given the confirmation of Fall. Streaks of gold among the green.

In late August, I feel melancholy about all the summer things that didn’t happen. Yes, every year. Being 62 years old, it has dawned on me that perhaps I don’t care that much about doing the summer things since this is an annual thought.

Hmm. In pondering that, I had to admit to myself that I do indeed enjoy the summer things but I expect them to happen easily. And they don’t. I need to embrace the discomfort of planning and execution of summer fun, or any seasonal fun. I have wrongly assumed that what I see other people doing is effortless and since that wasn’t my experience, I was doing it wrong. 

I have an ongoing and wide-ranging problem with that thought. Sigh.

Well, now that I know, or am reminded, that my success depends on my willingness to embrace the discomfort of the work, I am enjoying September with intent.

The weather has been mostly summery, with a few foggy fall-like mornings, and now the temperature is cooling (Praise the Lord!) but my house is already be-decked with fall leaves, the porch with pumpkins (that grew unexpectedly on the compost pile) and I am anxious to wear sweaters while drinking my chai with pumpkin cold cream. Soon I’ll be anticipating Thanksgiving and preparations for that.

Fall is my favorite season. I love to look outside and see that there’s nothing that can be done out in the weather. Coziness, curling up with a book, blanket and hot beverage makes a wonderful day.

I intend to do a lot of that, even if it's hard.

Comments

Melodie K said…
I was missing your posts... :)
Tami said…
You’re back! Summer is fun but it takes a lot of planning! Yay for Fall and the ease of a cozy season!

Popular Posts