We have been living in historical times for the Ivan Likkel Family of late.
Remember that I mentioned how proud I was of my parents dealing with 3 days without power in an ice storm? How they had to keep the tractor running and fueled and also had to get someone out to fix the generator in the midst of it? And God provided the right people at the right time, and the part that was needed?
Well, what they accomplished those few days was great – and it took them a couple of weeks to recover the strength they expended on the effort. My sisters and I told them: “We’ve worried about how it would go for you if something like this happened…But you handled it so well, and now we aren’t going to worry anymore. You can do it!”
And yes, they could – but they decided, they didn’t want to anymore.
Who can blame them for that?! Seems like wisdom to me.
Unbeknownst to us, Dad said to Mom, “Let’s go look around 19th Street. I like that area.” So them went for a ride and lo and behold, there was a nice little condo for sale. They right away called nephew Rick about it and went to see it.
Only then did they tell us that they had decided they didn’t want to do winters out in the country anymore, and they liked this little condo, and would we go see it with them.
We were a little surprised…
We looked at it with them and right away saw how it would be a good fit. Modest, comfortable, the layout was similar to the farm house, nice open area to look out on to the front, a lot of retired folks living in the area, within walking distance of an implement dealer, and the grocery store was just down the street.
More than just seeing it was a good fit, we began to see how settled Mom and Dad were about their decision to go to town. We always expected that it would be grievous for them to leave their home of 47 years, and more so for Dad to leave the farm that always provided projects to putter at. We were dreading that a day might come when they would have to leave, rather than choose to leave…
Within days, they had made an offer and it was accepted…a week later, the deal was closed. God was at work in this timing and the opportunity He provided them. Their hearts were ready for the change, and they welcomed it as His provision for this time in their lives.
How grateful we are for God’s mercies, His provision, and His peace at this time of big decisions and change!
In short order, Mom was purging and preparing to move. Walls were painted, and new floors laid at the condo. My sisters and I loaded up and delivered the donations to the thrift store and elsewhere. We got boxes and packed and cleaned the condo, ready for moving day…March 1.
In the meantime, there was the other side of the story…What was going to happen with the farmhouse and the property?
That, my friends, will follow as Part Two.