Enjoying the morning...


It was a lovely morning for a walk. In fact, I wore a jacket, which I have not done for a while, and my ears felt a little nipped by the cool as we started.
Daisie was a little uncomfortable as well. I can always tell when she is, because, every minute or so, her nose bumps my right hand asking for a treat – always the right hand because she knows the treats are in my right pocket. Anyway, if it’s wet or cold, or too hot, she seeks a lot of comfort in treats as we progress.
She’s getting kind of particular in her old age. I was a little surprised at her reluctance to get out of the house this morning.
I thought it was lovely! Cool, a little foggy, but the sun streaming.
The Farmer was already out in the field rototilling. The neighbors were also out in the field, and too far away for me to determine what field operation was underway. Two neighbors are taking out large fields, so to our east there is a lot of open ground – which should be interesting when the northeaster blows.
It was a time for pleasant reverie and contemplation…Although the heavy dew revealed that I have a leak in my boot; and there was a tiny stone in one. There was just enough room so that at each step it could roll around and be in position to pierce another spot on my foot. Two stops to stand one-legged, and shake out the boot, yielded no relief. Farm girl problems…
Not enough annoyance to try again, and not enough to keep me from thinking about the loveliness around me, the blessing of this beautiful summer, and to think thoughts of dread about the box of peaches that is crying out to be canned as soon as I get the equipment assembled.
Oh, it’s not that bad. I need to spend a little thought to remind myself how it used to be when I canned. Three little kids underfoot, needs to be attended to, refereeing to be done, training to accomplish while half-filled jars of peaches browned on the counter…3 hours of work accomplished in 6 hours of time. And now the task is optional; then it was mandatory…money must be saved! It’s so much easier now; and I’ll be glad I worked today when I eat those peaches in January.
When Daisie and I returned to the house, I got her a “toothbrush” (doggy dental chew) as is our routine. It was then that I realized that I had forgotten to feed her, or even take her out for potty this morning before I headed out to walk. No wonder she was reluctant to go! I was doing it all wrong! Daisie is very religious about our routines, and notes with her behavior (quizzical looks, quiet whining) when I have deviated from the proper order. She tried to hang back when I headed out the door, but I was oblivious. She tried to let me know that she was hungry by asking for treats every minute – but I didn’t get it.
Humans can be so obtuse! Sorry, Daisie.
Daisie may have flexibility problems, but I have discipline problems. Having a dog that can keep me on the right track is a gift that will increase in value as time passes.
Well, as long as I pay attention to her.
All in all, it was a lovely start to a Friday…and now, on to the peaches.

Comments

Ridgely said…
Yay, I get to enjoy this wonderful September weather, too. I was sitting out in the back yesterday and reveling in how thankful I am to have this opportunity to really enjoy fall this year. No canning of peaches happening, but I did make some roasted red pepper pesto this morning!

Popular Posts