It's the Dead of Winter...


Author's Note: Blogger and I are not getting along when it comes to posting pictures...so you'll have to imagine cute pictures of sleepy little Frenchtons as you read this...And just be thankful that I didn't feel the need to make up for the 1000 words each picture is worth.




As usual, I didn’t think it was going to happen, BUT…the winter doldrums have set in. I don’t think I’m the only one suffering from them either. I’ve heard from numerous people that they are feeling lazy, unmotivated, bored.

 

Me too. It’s a feature of late Januray throughout February, in my experience. I’m trying not to care. Or worry about getting things done. My goal is to keep my head above water, and not castigate myself for all the stuff I should be doing…All those plans I made in the heat of new year fantasies  and new beginnings fervor. By now, I should know myself well enough to predict that this will be a most unproductive time for projects of duty, e.g. washing walls and windows, organizing the garage, trying to get maintenance type projects out of the way before the yard work begins. Letting go of plans will not reduce the lack of productivity a whit – but I won’t feel so bad about it.

 

That’s an improvement…not the improvement I always strive for…but one that I can enjoy.

 

And so, with that introduction/explanation/true confession, I bring a most random post, covering a wide range of info.

 

Those of you who are my Facebook friends already know that our son-in-law, Jon, had surgery a week ago. A severely herniated disk, that had been making itself known for a few months already, demanded that it be tended to immediately -- I mean IMMEDIATELY -- by causing terrible, terrible pain. So, a month and half after saying their vows, the newlyweds tried out the “in sickness and in health” clause. I’m happy to say that they left no doubt that they meant what they said on their wedding day! They are persevering through the trials of traumatic pain, surgery, and now, recovery. Thankfully, Jon feels less pain now than he has for quite some time – but he still has a ways to go before he is back to normal activity. Oh, the boredom he is enduring! Fortunately, he is now feeling well enough to tolerate having two little dogs keep him company…

 

Not sure that is a blessing, but it cuts down on the boredom…as long as you don’t mind picking up the shredded paper that Olive makes when SHE feels boredom.

 

Jon’s going to be so glad to go back to work…

 

Olive and Angus stayed with us for several days while Jon was in the hospital, and after. They are good little dogs…except for when they are not…which is about a 50-50 proposition. You can count on them to be good at two different times of the day: when they get up in the morning, and when they go to bed. In between is when we have problems…

 

Oddly enough, they LOVE to go to bed. They are waiting for you to say it’s bedtime. When the magic words are spoken, they fly up the stairs and leap onto the bed, and have a little wrestling match of joy. They wait, poised to take their positions while you get ready to crawl in. Once the hoomans are in the bed, they burrow, or snuggle, and rapidly drop into the heavy breathing of peaceful sleep.

 

As the pups find their spots, I just can’t help look over to The Farmer and laugh. Quite ungraciously, I have to remind him that I had to sneak around and force my hand when it came to getting a house dog…And now, at his behest, the littles get to sleep in our bed.

 

I’m not sure what has happened to him…But I find it quite marvelous, and incredible!

 

And a little crowded.

Comments

Popular Posts