The Long-Time Friend I Hadn't Met...

I finally met my long-time friend…

Yes, you read that correctly. Sara and I have been friends since 2002, and I finally met her this September.

I tell you, the internet can be a blessed thing…

Back in 2002, Jess was on tour with the Lynden Christian High School band. At one of their stops in California, he and friend David Vos were guests of Sara and Terry Umbaugh. Their daughter, Tessa, was about the same age and attending Central Valley Christian where the band had a concert.

Sara kindly sent me an email with a picture of the boys having breakfast in her kitchen, and a note about their visit. And thus, our friendship and correspondence began!
A copy of the email that started our friendship...

Without ever having met, we hit it off, and found we shared many interests and convictions. We often said, “I think we would be fast friends were we living in the same town.” Over the years, our correspondence was sporadic, but sincere – and we could always pick up just where we left off. When The Farmer, with his brother and nephew, planned to drive down to the huge Tulare Ag Show near Fresno, Sara offered them a place to stay as they were close by.

It was kind of a wonder to me that this friend I had never met would be so gracious to house three guys she had never met, simply because I asked her for hotel recommendations. And Sara is one of those Hostess with the Mostest types…They had a great time there!

In the next few years, Sara and Terry moved to Texas, for work, and then back to Auburn, Indiana – close to family – and where they wanted to retire.

I wondered if I would ever get to meet them…

Then this Fall, they decided to visit the Pacific Northwest, and adventure up into British Columbia – with a stop to stay with us in Lynden! I was excited to finally meet face to face, and a little nervous that they would feel comfortable with us in real life!

I had a great time re-doing Jess’ kid wallpaper, and transforming his room to a guest room. Their visit was the perfect motivation to get that procrastinated project done. Even Jess is past the soccer and footballs on the wall! It was past time…and it kept me busy as I anticipated their arrival.
From Kid Room...

...to grown up guest room.

My nervousness vanished in the first five minutes after they arrived. Sara and I talked and talked and talked! We, indeed, have much in common from interests to our outlook on life. The Farmer and Terry talked about as much as we did. Both of them have an affinity and aptitude for understanding how things work, and how to make things work better. Terry was very interested in the berry industry, and you know how The Farmer loves to talk about it!

They were easy guests and just wanted to tour around Lynden and the farms and get a picture of our life here…which is just the kind of thing we would want to do if we were visiting them! We had such a good time with them!

It’s a marvel to me that God connected us. It seems so random that we would make contact – and so amazing that we would then end up being such like-minded friends. It is a gift – and just a fun blessing to have gotten to know Sara and Terry…like a bonus from God!
Sara & Terry with our mountains in the background. Later Mt. Baker peeked out from behind the clouds so they could see what we enjoy every day.

I guess God can use whatever He wants to bless us…even the internet!

Comments

Ridgely said…
This is so cool! I'm excited that they were able to make the trip and spend some time with you. It's not surprising that they had a great time...what's not to like about you two!

Popular Posts