Now What Do I Do???




We’ve been finished with harvest for a week, and now we are in that weird phase where we feel a little bit at sea about what to do.

Immediately after harvest, we took one day to tidy up some things and then spent the next 3 days doing nothing, as in nothing but sleeping in, eating good food, napping, reading, cooling off in my backyard pool. It was glorious, and oh-so-necessary! And fortuitously timed to help endure the hottest days of the summer! Daily, I wondered at the marvel that no one had to be out in the field in that heat! Thank you, Lord!!

Now rest time is over, and it’s back to the many after harvest tasks that are waiting. But, as I said, it’s a weird time. As harvest approaches, you have less and less flexibility in how you spend your time. And during harvest, you hardly have to make decisions; you KNOW what you have to do and you just get in the groove of doing it over and over each day. The urgent rules your life, and there aren’t any choices outside of that. Then one day, BAM, harvest is over, and you’re relieved and exhausted, and you can step out of the hamster wheel. You made it! The pressure is relieved!

However, there is still much to do, and now there are flexible parameters for doing it…which means you have to make decisions about what and when and how…and you’re just tired enough that this seems like a lot to discern and hours can go by before a direction can be determined.

I guess I should be glad that we now have the luxury of hours to figure out what to do and when, but I feel a little lost. It’s always a hard transition for me, and I feel like I waste a lot of the summer time that is available to me. I must be very intentional about ordering my days to get back into a groove that is productive. And I’m not good at intentional…much better at incidental. Ha!

Routine is where it’s at. That’s how you get things done. It’s true in harvest and should be true now. The problem seems to be that I have to make the choices for the routine…and there are just so many options and also, responsibilities, to address…

I’m going to start with coffee.


Comments

Popular Posts