House Dogs on the Farm...


Macy is visiting us this week as her family enjoys a break.

Rosie is out of her mind with happiness, and I am out of my mind over Rosie’s hyperactivity.

And Macy is looking at me with soulful eyes and sighing…a lot.

The Farmer is busy finishing up field work for the year in this lovely weather; and these two events are now converging in a most unfortunate way.

Out in the field there is much freshly turned dirt; and freshly applied manure, some of it liquid and easily absorbed, some solid and seemingly edible to the canines.

Macy is a big, black, HAIRY dog. Rosie is not hairy, but quick and determined to experience all textures and terrain she sees – meaning she is belly deep in it. Add daily heavy morning dew to these facts, and our morning duty runs result in an inordinate amount of filth carried back into the house. And with Rosie’s ongoing enthusiasm (i.e. continual jumping around) the dirt and hair are liberally incorporated throughout the work room.

Even without the dirt, Rosie’s impersonation of a whirling dervish is removing Macy’s fluff and spreading it past the work room into the most unexpected areas of the house.

House Dogs on the Farm…it’s a challenge some days.

But this, well kinda, is what I wanted, so I ought not complain.

In the midst of the mopping, and vacuuming, there is also this: Rosie’s frenzied play apparently resulted in an eye injury, causing her cherry eye to reoccur. It is very strange for a repair like this to fail after a year (surgery was done last summer), so I presume she did something ridiculous, as she is prone, and wrecked it.

Oh, Rosie…When we went to the vet, the tech said, “Oh, I see Rosie is a frequent flyer!” Yes, yes, she is. We got through the entire summer with no vet visits – I thought our status had changed. Not.

Oh, she can be a pain! But just as much she is my pal, and having her sleep snuggled up to me on the couch makes me forget a lot of stuff.

And that is the only area where Rosie has a problem with Macy. Macy thinks she should sleep next to me on the couch too. Not much couch left after she settles in, and Rosie is walking over both of us until she finally gives up and sits with The Farmer. Macy is probably not allowed on the couch at her house – but she needs some reward after all she puts up with here so I will not say no.

House Dogs on the Farm can be a lot of work – but I am thankful that it’s not raining too!

Comments

Popular Posts