A Raspberry Recipe...


I have a lot of raspberry recipes, of course, but this is one that I like to make with berries right off the bush...just the best that way. I have made them in the winter with individually frozen berries, leaving them frozen, folding them in like you would fresh and it's works...But fresh is still best!


RASPBERRY STREUSEL MUFFINS

2 c. flour

1c. sugar

2 t. baking powder

1/2 t. baking soda

1/4 t. salt

Sift together.

Whisk in a large bowl:

1 large egg

1/2 c. each, milk and sour cream

1/3 c melted butter.

Add flour mixture and stir just until even moistened. Gently fold in 1 1/2 c. fresh raspberries.

Spoon batter into 14 buttered muffin cups. Top evenly with streusel; press slightly into batter. Bake @ 400 degrees, until deep golden, about 25 minutes.

Streusel Topping

Mix with fingers: 1/4 c. sugar, 3 T. flour, 2 T. butter, 1t. cinnamon, 1/4 c. chopped nuts.

You will end up with something that looks better than these...

...I can guarantee that.

Unfortunately, in my typical absent-minded method of baking, I forgot to put the melted butter in the recipe...Kind of an important step...I did not discover this until I had loaded the muffin cups with the butter-less batter, and so had to slop all the batter back into the bowl and stir in the butter. This made the muffins a lovely shade of blue, as all the berries broke up into little pieces, and leaked their flavorful juices throughout...and they were also just a bit flat.

The good news? They tasted as good as ever...

It seems kind of silly to put a disclaimer after revealing my lack of precision, but you should still know that I do not create recipes on my own. I found this one years ago in Sunset magazine. I have tweaked it a little, leaving out 1/2 c. of whole wheat pastry flour, and the nutmeg, and the hazelnuts you had to toast yourself...All unnecessary fancies that those magazine people like to add to make you feel like a gourmet. And I promise that if I HAD created this recipe, it would not make 14 muffins! Who has a  14 muffin tin? Yeesh! That is kind of a pain...

Anyway, I thought I would share a few of my favorites during berry season, and this is definitely one of them...Hope you enjoy it too!


Comments

Popular Posts