Fickle me...


The last two weeks have been out of the ordinary for me, and for my family.

And we are very fond of ordinary, so it’s been a bit of a stress.

My mom had both of her knee joints replaced – at the same time! Two major surgeries in one day, as the nurses remind her.
 

She’s one tough lady…and her recovery has been nothing short of amazing to this point. So we are very thankful, and happy that this upset in our ordinary days will bring a happier kind of ordinary to her.

But I have to be honest and say that I don’t like taking care of my parents…

BECAUSE IT MEANS THEY NEED TO BE TAKEN CARE OF.

I shall euphemistically state here that I have been wrestling with God about change, aging, human frailties and suffering, and sacrifice…

The truth is that I have a bad attitude about God upsetting my safe little world where Mom & Dad are still the Rocks you figure are in the background, ready to help with your crises. I see now that the tables are turning, and I need to be at the ready for troubles that come to them.

I’m not strong enough to be the grown-up…or at least, I don’t want to be one, and carry the load…it scares me!

I don’t want to see my mom weak and confused or my dad teary over his beloved’s pain. I don’t want to lift mom’s legs into bed, or remind her that she needs to keep drinking water so she doesn’t dehydrate. I don’t want to follow her walker ready to catch her should she fall…

But I did…and I can do it, God helping me. He’s the Strong One, THE Rock we all need to face the crises, the suffering and sacrifices that come along the way.

And more will come; I know it’s true. And hopefully, next time my heart will be ready to lean on THE Rock in confidence, instead of arguing with Him about why we are there.

Oh fickle me…

Oh Faithful God, thank goodness that You love me.

Comments

Karen K said…
I know exactly how you feel! It was a wake up call.......and I'm not ready for it either!!!!

Ha, those white stockings look familiar. :) That was my job twice a day......
Tami said…
The timing of this post... I'm happy things turned out okay today. We missed you and we'll see you next week. Take care!

Popular Posts