Fall is my favorite...for many reasons!


Well, I’m pleased to report that the nightstands project had good results. They don’t look half bad. Of course, it helps that they are mostly observed in low light. And speaking of light, my lampshades turned out fairly well too. I just took an old map of the USA and ripped it into random pieces, modpodging them this way and that over the shade. I made sure that nothing lined up, and nothing was predictable, and so it’s hard to find something wrong with it.  At least I have learned one thing in my crafting adventures: if you’re not the most precise, don’t do anything that requires straight lines or pattern matching. Random is the imprecise one’s friend!

I’ve been working on other projects too…mostly of the maintenance sort, but it feels very good to be catching up on them.

I don’t know what it is about summer, but, even after harvest is over, I find myself pacing in the house, wringing my hands while I look out the window, waiting for something urgent to call me to action.

I can sure waste a lot of time that way…I think it is my own version of post-traumatic-stress, that is, Post Harvest Traumatic Stress.

When Fall arrives, it seems a switch in my brain flips, and I come into my own again. I wake up on time. I get into a routine, and return to rational thinking…well, mostly… and some days I get a lot done!

And I have a long list of things that need to be done…all that stuff that didn’t happen while I was pacing and looking at summer out the window…

So far, I’ve cleaned up the garden, and froze the veggies: carrots, peppers, even beets (that’s an experiment).  The flower beds are cleaned out. I had no mercy this year! I always have a hard time throwing out plants that are still blooming, but aphids were taking over; I was tired of watering; the coming rains make the container plants look bad…Goodbye pots and baskets! Goodbye annuals! And now – I’m glad it is all done.

Today, Caitlin helped me tidy up and sweep out the Horse Shed – aka The Repository For Things We Don’t Know What To Do With. No mercy there either…A large pile of “Why do we still have this?” stuff will travel to the dump tomorrow.

Oh, Autumn…besides pumpkin spice lattes, apple cider donuts, pumpkin bars and cozy firesides, I love thee because I get stuff done!

Comments

Popular Posts