I'm over it...



I mowed the lawn yesterday; and due to some unfortunate timing of activities and rain showers, it was a crop of epic proportion. I used to keep count of the number of unloads I did for each mowing, as I prefer to complain with accuracy, but I freed myself from that practice a few years ago. I find it better for my attitude to remain ignorant of the specifics. Besides, it is difficult to keep an accurate count when the crop is epic, and just that fact makes it clear that you have, indeed, suffered – no further proof needed.

(I know I often complain needlessly, so I like to have proof for The Farmer when my annoyance is legit.)

Anyway, as I drove around the lawn, in the same circles and patterns once again, it occurred to me that I am SO over mowing the lawn.

I am pretty sure that I have wrested from this activity all the joy it could ever yield. Indeed, I am a few years past that.

Having a Farmer Husband, whose busiest season is concurrent with the season of mowing, I have been primarily responsible for the lawn for more than 30 years. From the early days of our marriage, when we were excited just to have a lawn, to the middle years when I mowed with a self-propelled walk behind until I was 8 months pregnant, until now, when I have a riding mower for the half acre that is lawn, I have mowed HUNDREDS of times.

I pretty sure that there is nothing new that I can learn about it. I am pretty sure that a new lawnmower will not even make it more attractive…Unless it’s about 8 feet wide…

Still, I have at least a decade to go…

Oh! That sounds like a long time…

Truly, I am grateful for a riding machine, and for the little manure spreader with which we spread the clippings on the open field…I have the right equipment for the job.

But, how many lawns must a woman mow before she’s allowed to be free? The answer my friend, is blowin’ in the wind. The answer is blowin’ in the wind…

Or maybe, the answer will arrive from Amazon in a few days…

Comments

Popular Posts