Life Lately...


The berries are growing fast and full...this was a week ago and now we are seeing this:


With the cool, wet April, we were expecting a just-later-than-average start. I was telling my employees it would be around the 4th of July. Not anymore. 
The bees will come in sometime this week, and that means in 5 weeks we will be picking...oh boy.


Speaking of bees, despite having no hives in the field, Rosie still managed to get stung. She swelled up but only where the injury was -- which is an improvement over her reactions last year when she her eyes swelled almost shut and she looked like a living gargoyle! I gave her a Benadryl and she was fine in a couple of hours. YAY! Last year, it was off to the vet when she was stung...


The flowers I've planted are filling in just like the berries. Well, except for my front flower bed where we have had the annual mole invasion. That bed is bordered by cement on all sides and every year a mole has to get in and tunnel around every plant, disturbing their roots and giving them a rough start. Perennially irritating, but this year I've decided to expect it. Thankfully, The Farmer is waging a war of long duration against the mole nation, and he takes care of the problem. I will just watch and water my uprooted plants more often.


The snowball tree has outdone itself this year! HUGE snowballs! So gorgeous.


The weeping beech always unfurls at the beginning of May. The day before, there is the faintest notice of buds, and the next leaves begin to pop, a greenish burgundy.


Now a couple of weeks later, they are a deep and beautiful burgundy. We did some needed pruning, but I think we may have gotten a little carried away. It reminds me of high-water pants right now...but in time the branches will be weeping again and hitting my head while I mow, and overly shading my plants in the bed.


Little Cheerful Farm (my farm name for goat registration) sent one of its members off to a Summer Camp of sorts. Barnaby, front & center here, is off to a friends to be a companion to a lonely little show goat. Goats don't do well alone, and the little show goat wasn't growing as well as he needs to, so Barnaby was dispatched to spend the summer with him. 

I certainly hope Barnaby is good medicine, but I am a little concerned. He was always the boss around here (even when he was smaller than his momma). I expected a lot of baaing and gnashing of teeth when their venerated leader was hauled away. Instead, the reaction was more like "don't let the gate hit you in the butt on your way out". No baaing, no gnashing of teeth, and it has been quite peaceful since he left. Hmmm. I hope he is not terrorizing at Summer Camp.

And I suspect that when Summer Camp adjourns, Barnaby might be finding himself in permanent residence elsewhere...We all quite enjoy the peacefulness.


And then there's Springtime with the grand-girls...the best of life! And so many adventures out of doors....

Cousins make the best of friends...when they begin to understand that sharing thing! ;)

Treats with Grandpa...

Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini!

Hot enough for the sprinkler! 

Birthday celebrating at El Nopal...These two dip chips in salsa more than Grandma does! They are being raised right, I'm told. Spice IS the spice of life!

Work overalls - check. Work gloves - check. Dirt -- let's go!

Enough handles for everyone to shift!
But still only one steering wheel, which can be problematic at times...
They are toddlers in the truest sense!
And such a JOY!!

Spring usually brings a sense of foreboding about how we will accomplish all the needs to be done for harvest. This year, I am trying to let that go, and enjoy the beauty of the earth, being in the moment, and letting tomorrow keep its own worries. It's a daily, well, hourly, choice -- but I'm finding it much more joyful!




Comments

Popular Posts