Spring...

It surely is wonderful to have sunshiny warm days. I'm even enjoying the work in the yard. My efforts at reducing flowerbed maintenance are paying off! YAY!! My flower pots are planted, and the one flowerbed that has annuals. I think I will actually plant a small garden -- mostly beans for canning. I'll throw in a few carrots because they are so good fresh from the garden. There is a peppery flavor to them that goes away after they've been stored. Hopefully, I won't waste as many of them as I usually do. As with most garden produce, how much of it can you eat in one month! And I don't can carrots.

Last week, I finally had a perfect congruence of time available and good weather and got the goat pen cleaned out. Boy howdy, did it need it! Goats are notorious hay wasters, and so I do not put a lot of shavings in the pen. Over time, the wasted hay becomes warm bedding with the shavings wicking the...uh, fluids to the bottom of the pile. It's a good system, but when it approaches several inches in thickness, it's time to freshen up.
I LOVE my little spreader!

Barn lime takes the smell out...except Barnaby snuck in to make a deposit...

Pine shavings smell so good!

I also got to use my new tool for sifting goat poops out of the paddock sand. Oh my...that is a life sentence! If I focus on a reduction of the poops population, I think I can face the task...but they can make them faster than I can sift them! Three 5 gallon buckets of poop contributed to the stall cleanings  and made for 9 loads in my little spreader.
Had to rake out all the hay before I could put the sifter to work...

I also got a sore back, and one whopper bruise where I walked into the metal handle for the spreader gears...and, best of all, a lot of satisfaction. I love taking care of my animals.

While loving spring work with the animals, it also brought some blue days. It was recently the anniversary of Daisie's death, and it still makes me heavy-hearted. I had intended to write more about what a blessing she was to my life, and all the quirks and habits that made her so special -- but it's been too hard. And I carry a lot of guilt at how she passed. We had a hot chemical out in the field that day, but I let her come in the yard with me, expecting that I would be able to keep tabs on her whereabouts. But there was a spot in an unexpected place where there had been a small leak -- and she found it. I had no idea until symptoms began. Attempts to save her were in vain, and she experienced such suffering before we could let her go. She deserved so much better. If only I had chosen to allow her the suffering of looking out the window at the beautiful day instead of letting her out in it, she would not have had to go through that.

It's hard to remember all the good stuff as it carries me down a deep path of regret.

So some words will remain unsaid that deserve to be said...Hopefully in time I can share, in bits and pieces, what a great treasure she was to my life. She made me smile everyday, no matter the other circumstances in play. That is a great gift.

Rest in peace, dear Daisie. Every April will be tinged with a little sadness, but mostly colored by thankfulness for God's creatures who bring us a smile each day.
My companion for evenings home alone.

My walking buddy!

Farm Dog

Her favorite treat -- scrambled eggs!

Comments

Popular Posts