Little Cheerful Farm...my goat raising hobby...


Sweet Clementine! 

So back in November, I told the story (on Instagram) of my adventure bringing my girl goats to be bred. It was 2 days before Thanksgiving, and instead of cleaning my house and preparing for twenty-some guests that would be coming, I was bringing goats on a date.

And it ended up being only one goat because once I lifted her into the crate in the back of the pickup, I didn’t have enough strength to fight the other one and get her in. So Clementine and I went off to meet VooDoo, the moon-spotted buck.

They seemed to get along famously. I visited with Kat, VooDoo’s owner and goat expert. When Clemmie and VooDoo seemed to tire of each others' company, Kat and her husband, Chris, graciously helped me load Clemmie back into the truck. If they hadn't, I might have had to leave her there until my strength returned. We drove the 40 minutes to home. Clemmie went back in the barn, and I took some ibuprofen and got to work preparing for Thanksgiving. It takes 5 months for goat babies to be ready so I just let myself forget about it for a while.

As time went by, I was not seeing any definite signs of pregnancy, and occasionally, I saw things that made me doubt there was one. I will spare you the details. Goats, because they are ruminants, always look quite wide, with large bellies. That’s a sign of a healthy goat. So I knew that it would not be until the last month of gestation that I would feel more certain that babies were on the way.
Fluffy winter hair...wide belly!

...But her brother, Bo, is even wider!

A couple of weeks ago, I was hanging out in the goat pen trying to get samples of poop from each one of the goats. Yes – that is one of the things I do for fun. Actually, this is not my favorite animal husbandry activity, but a necessary evil as we need to periodically check them for parasites. (And no one had any! Yay me for being a good goat mom!) Anyway, I was waiting, and waiting, and waiting to pounce when someone produced. Most of the time if you just look at them, they poop – but of course, not that day.

The goats started in on the usual heat butting and strutting and I was shocked to see Clemmie displaying some highly flirtatious behavior. {GASP!} Pregnant goats don’t have the need or desire to be flirtatious – but there was Clemmie doing the goat version of the JLo halftime show! {GASP AGAIN!}

My heart sunk as this seemed to confirm my doubts about the presence of baby goats. I was quite disappointed. I really could have used the good cheer and excitement that baby goats would add to life – especially this year! Now I’d have to wait another whole year! I consulted with Kat, my goat coach, and she said it did seem unlikely that a pregnant goat would act that way…or a decent one, in my estimation.

So I quit worrying about preparations.

And then, last Sunday, Kit wanted to go see the goats and we all traipsed out to watch them. Imogene & Bo were head butting, and Clemmie carefully jumped up on the big wooden spool… and she did it kind of slowly, like she felt heavy or something…I said nothing, but later that night when I fed the goats, I caught Clemmie and checked her over.

I found that Clemmie has a little udder! Which means she’s getting ready to make milk --- because SHE’S GOT TO FEED SOME BABIES SOON!

Oh Joy, Oh Rapture unconfined!!!! Hope has returned for baby goat fun this year!!

And today I spent the day thoroughly cleaning the goat pen and the barn. I have a shopping list of supplies to acquire! I can’t believe that we WILL have babies here by the end of the month!
I’m not sure how I’m going to let you all in on the enjoyment what with quarantining and social distancing…Maybe a drive-by goat exhibit?

I’ll let you know!
Tidy little barn...

...fresh fluffy shavings...

Clemmie and her mom, Imogene,
enjoying their pedestals.


Comments

Popular Posts