Doctoring Daisie...

Daisie's been having a time of it...Trips to the vet, medicines, misery...poor pup!

Daisie's funk started way back with the bee stings, and the ensuing allergies. She was spending WAY too much time doing this:
The vet put her on antihistamines for the itch, and antibiotics because she had a little infection on her muzzle...And have I told you that Daisie has a sensitive stomach? Well, be thankful if I haven't...it's not pretty, and antibiotics don't make it better...

They did make her muzzle better, but then, she scratched her nose on something...
And it wouldn't heal...Yukky looking...
I tried to be my own vet, of course, and doctored it with triple antibiotic ointment, and finally hydrocortisone cream -- whereupon it swelled up to a large angry red bump.

Daisie contemplating the crappiness of her life...

Another trip to the vet, where her nose is scraped for testing,  more antibiotics -- less eating, more puking, more antihistamines. The test comes back positive for...uh, ringworm...which is why her nose got so bad when I put hydrocortisone cream on it. Apparently, fungi love steroids. It helps them grow rapidly!
Sorry Daisie, I was just trying to help!

At least now, we can put the right kind of cream on the nose -- and the antibiotics can STOP, as well as the puking...(Happiness!) But now we have a very skinny dog, with a rough coat, still scratching a little.
I decide that it would be a good thing to give her a bath. Let's wash that itch right out of her hair!
Cait warns me that this can backfire, but she gamely helps with This Event...no pictures, as giving Daisie a bath requires all hands on deck.

Ahh...she smells so good. Her coat is SO soft...
And she can't walk TWO steps without doing this:
Poor, poor Daisie!! She can't even do her walk in the field -- her "reason for living" walk -- without stopping to scratch her shoulders, her neck, her head...Cait is kind enough not to say "I told you so" when I schedule the next vet visit...We have to double her antihistamines to keep the scratching to a reasonable level...

Apparently, my skills as a studied hypochondriac do not carry over to the animal world...
I better make a note of that...a BIG NOTE...
Sorry Daisie! I was just trying to help...but I won't anymore...I promise!

Comments

Holly said…
I'm so not a vet person and would have done exactly what you did...over and over again!!!
Been catching up on your posts and I have had a few good laughs this morning!!!
So excited for Jess...keep us posted as to what he does!!

Popular Posts