I still love Rudolph...



Tuesday evening, Caitlin and I sat down to watch our favorite show, NCIS, and were surprised to find out that it was replaced by a Special Presentation of Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer.


We were not too excited about this development.

But I decided to do something I rarely do anymore…I sat and watched the whole kiddie movie from start to finish! I have Rudolph on every year during Christmas season, but it’s just playing in the background while I do other things, important things, things that need to get done.

Tuesday night, I just sat there and watched…and loved it!

Remember back in the day, when nothing on TV was available on demand, or on dvd? The Christmas Specials were anticipated and put on our schedule for an evening of family fun…IT WAS SPECIAL! And not to be missed!

Charlie Brown’s Christmas, Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph, and Santa Claus is Coming to Town – sometimes even Drummer Boy…And don’t forget the celebrity variety shows with music and dancing, and skating sometimes…

I miss the rarity, and therefore, the special anticipation of seeing something so pretty, and cheerful.

It’s so different now! Today the availability of Christmas shows, not to mention the huge selection, has left us all sated, and oblivious to special things.

And so I enjoyed sitting the other night, and taking in all the winsomeness of Rudolph and Hermie, Yukon Cornelius and the Abominable Snowman, the elves, the deer, the Burl Ives snowman. The technology of yester-year was so primitive by today’s standards, but I still find myself wishing there was somewhere you could go and see those little creatures as living beings. They are just SO CUTE!! The story is simple and sweet…

And I just like to hear Santa say: “Rudolph! FULL POWER!”

NCIS, with its mystery and death, just didn’t seem so interesting after that. But I watched it too…well, until I fell asleep…I just can’t do a full hour of TV after 9pm…

Thanks to Rudolph and his friends, I was all fired up to go Christmas shopping on Wednesday. The Farmer was out of town, Caitlin graciously exercised Daisie in the afternoon, so I could head right out after work and spend some hours power-shopping.

Though dinner time is a pretty good time to go shopping as far as crowds go, I succeeded only in finding out where the things I wanted were not…Pretty much a bust for Christmas gifts.

Amazon.com, I love thee…

And now I’m going to have to watch Santa Claus is Coming to Town to get in the mood again…

Comments

Popular Posts