Christmas Crafting Fun...


I had a delightful day of crafting this week. The Farmer was out of town again, so there were no constraints on my time as far as cooking goes…I could make a mess and leave it until the project was finished.

This always inspires me…

And I was coming off a conversation with my friend, Joan, in which she related the advice of a decorating guru who said you could decorate your house for Christmas in one hour. Be ready for company that night…

We laughed heartily…

I think it takes me one hour just to move the folding chairs, the vacuum, the other seasonal knick-knacks, and the candle collection just to GET to the Christmas decorations.

However, one point that he made stuck with me. His theory was that you focus on the high points: your entry, your mantel, and your staircase, if you have one. Apparently, these ‘cry out’ to be decorated.

And that would mean that my staircase was crying a lot – because it was conspicuously undecorated. For years, I had wrassled a lighted garland, all 30 feet of it, into place on the banister, occasionally changing out the ribbons that tied it in place. But last year, I gave up on it, and freed myself from the wrassling, and the hassling, and hoping it would all stay lighted.

A naked staircase…not good. It was starting to get to me.

Fortunately, I had a brainwave about how I could combine a large spool of red pom-pom fringe (a Goodwill treasure -- $4!) and a 30 foot long roll of burlap – which I had almost returned because I didn’t know what to do with something so long… $4 from Michaels.

It was a lot of pinning…

And a long line of stitching….


But it was simple and fun, and I think it turned out pretty well.
 

No more crying from the staircase!
 

There was much more day left, so I cut and sewed a Christmas pennant banner. These are so easy and so festive.
 
 
 

I even made a mini to hang over my retro carolers.
 

It was the kind of day I dream of having during the Christmas Season…Christmas music, crafting, cheery results. It will go down in my memory as a special day… Too many years, it never happens. In fact, my last memory of such a day, dates back to when I was sewing a wool cape and satin party dress for Caitlin’s American Girl doll. Oh, what fun!

Hope you’re enjoying some fun that thrills your heart too. Christmas anticipation…just the best!

Comments

Popular Posts