Friday, December 14, 2012

Christmas Crafting Fun...


I had a delightful day of crafting this week. The Farmer was out of town again, so there were no constraints on my time as far as cooking goes…I could make a mess and leave it until the project was finished.

This always inspires me…

And I was coming off a conversation with my friend, Joan, in which she related the advice of a decorating guru who said you could decorate your house for Christmas in one hour. Be ready for company that night…

We laughed heartily…

I think it takes me one hour just to move the folding chairs, the vacuum, the other seasonal knick-knacks, and the candle collection just to GET to the Christmas decorations.

However, one point that he made stuck with me. His theory was that you focus on the high points: your entry, your mantel, and your staircase, if you have one. Apparently, these ‘cry out’ to be decorated.

And that would mean that my staircase was crying a lot – because it was conspicuously undecorated. For years, I had wrassled a lighted garland, all 30 feet of it, into place on the banister, occasionally changing out the ribbons that tied it in place. But last year, I gave up on it, and freed myself from the wrassling, and the hassling, and hoping it would all stay lighted.

A naked staircase…not good. It was starting to get to me.

Fortunately, I had a brainwave about how I could combine a large spool of red pom-pom fringe (a Goodwill treasure -- $4!) and a 30 foot long roll of burlap – which I had almost returned because I didn’t know what to do with something so long… $4 from Michaels.

It was a lot of pinning…

And a long line of stitching….


But it was simple and fun, and I think it turned out pretty well.
 

No more crying from the staircase!
 

There was much more day left, so I cut and sewed a Christmas pennant banner. These are so easy and so festive.
 
 
 

I even made a mini to hang over my retro carolers.
 

It was the kind of day I dream of having during the Christmas Season…Christmas music, crafting, cheery results. It will go down in my memory as a special day… Too many years, it never happens. In fact, my last memory of such a day, dates back to when I was sewing a wool cape and satin party dress for Caitlin’s American Girl doll. Oh, what fun!

Hope you’re enjoying some fun that thrills your heart too. Christmas anticipation…just the best!

No comments:

About Me

Needing an outlet for various thoughts rattling in my head, I've created two blogs -- One about my real life (leslieisverbose.blogspot.com) and one where I can vent. (leslievents.blogspot.com)