Photos of San Diego...

View from our hotel on Harbor Island...Looking toward Downtown...
 
Looking the other direction to the harbor, and the airport beyond...
Across the street...You can see Coronado Island, its bridge, and the naval base provided lots of entertainment...Coast Guard training too...
 
Driving around....
Hard to see, but all those cars were waiting in line to cross the border into Mexico. Later, we found out that they were searching each car in the hunt for Christopher Dorner, so maybe it was more congested than usual...There were a LOT of cars!
We also drove north, up the coast as far as Encinitas...Can't remember where I took this, but oh! I love to see the beaches!
 
Old Town San Diego...
Wells Fargo Museum...Close inspection of this stagecoach yielded a new-found gratitude for air travel...

Seeley stable...What a neat old barn!

Heritage Park in Old Town...These old Victorians are going to be wonderful to tour when they finish restoring the insides...The outsides were ornate and wonderful!

An incredible antique in the Seeley Stable exhibit...The carvings on this dresser were unbelievable!
 
San Diego Zoo...
The little guy, halfway up the rocks was my favorite at the zoo...A 9 day old Takin (a weird moosey, cow-y, goat-y critter) just learning to climb the rocks...He reminded me of the calves of my youthful farm days...adorable!

Next favorite babies -- you can hardly see them next to the building -- the capybaras! I think the adults are cute, but the babies are adorable!

Always love the elephants...They had so many of them too.

This cheetah was raised with a puppy, who is now a full grown dog and they are constant companions, can't live without each other. Just after I snapped this shot, I turned and quickly went away to snap a picture of this...

...and the cheetah jumped up and followed me along his fence! And then whenever I moved around his enclosure, he followed me...Hmmm...I suggested to him that he would probably prefer much leaner meat -- not to mention, the fence was going to be a pretty big obstacle...and he gave up.
 
As for the rhino butt...MASSIVE...and armored! And so close!

Giraffes...what can I say...I've always wanted one...
 
Midway!
There she is! Can't get all of her in the picture...

View from the Air Boss' seat...did you know the flight deck is over 4 acres in size?

View from the Bridge...

Had to shoot the duck...If my head hadn't been hurting so badly, I would have tried harder to do it right!

The Island...
We could have spent more than just an afternoon here...As it was, I had to sit for a while because my illness was making me dizzy, and I can't remember much of what the tour guide said, which pains me. I bought a book so I can catch up on what I missed...There is just so much to see on this ship, and a lot of history to absorb. Our Navy is amazing! I admire the men and women who live on these floating cities...It's no picnic.
 
Food...
I should have taken more pictures, particularly of the Mexican Restaurant, but here are a few of the treats we enjoyed...
Devine Pastabilities...There's a 3 meat lasagna under all that cheese...

The damage we did at Inn 'n Out...first time for those burgers!

Lobster Dinner Special...A whole lobster! Most had never had to...uh...take their lobster apart...New experiences, and I hear it was delicious...I couldn't taste much by this time and didn't go for it.

A fast food Mexican lunch...so many options for good Mexican food around San Diego.
I had these tacos, sitting outside in the sun, gazing over at Hotel Del Coronado...
It was a lovely way to end our visit to San Diego...

...and despite this being my main souvenir, I did get to enjoy a fair bit of fun there.
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts