More about My Weekdays: Town Tuesday & Workday Wednesday...


The List That Keeps Me On Track...a must have!

So yesterday was Town Tuesday – the day of the week designated for trips to town and to the City for the purposes of procurement and running of errands. Being the first Tuesday of the month, it was the big Laying in of Supplies trip for the month, and that means Costco, and a big grocery store run. Though not as necessary as when I was feeding two football players and a cross country runner, I still like making one big trip for the month. It’s just the way I organize things…replenish the staples, and then supplement by the week as special items and perishables are needed.

However, this always means that the first Tuesday of the month is a big day, and I’m so tired by the time I get home that I dread all the putting away the big load of stuff in the van.

It calls for an easy dinner – which sometimes means going out, but usually means a rotisserie chicken from Costco. And that’s what it was last night.

After that, there was a fair amount of watching TV and knitting, and that was pleasantly refreshing.

Today is Workday Wednesday, the day designated for getting big projects, and lots of work done. I decided to start my Dutch Girl Greenhouse.

Thanks for the idea, Cheryl Wierenga De Haan! When I saw you planting seeds in cups with your grandkids, I decided this was a great cheap way for me to try the same. I’d been toying with the idea of starting some of my own plants for the garden and the flowerbeds, but didn’t want to make a big financial commitment because… ME! Planting is fun, but then there’s the pesky reality that you have to care for the seedlings… Oh yeah. My thumb just might not be green enough, or my memory long enough to do daily maintenance on plants. So I just bought a bunch of cups, big ones – because I don’t intend to transplant any more than I have to. I’m not sure why people plant in wee little containers, and then move to a bigger one and THEN plant the seedlings in the ground. I decided to skip that step, and I won’t be surprised at all to find out that there is a very good reason to do so, and that it is entirely necessary. It seems to be a universal practice…but I am cheap, and not fond of work, so I’m trying a shortcut.

At least I know myself well enough to doubt my own intentions. It’s much less expensive this way. I can’t tell you how many ventures I have jumped into, with great enthusiasm, only to find that mostly my enthusiasm isn’t maintained, nor my resolve to carry on.

Is this the ultimate cynicism? Certainty of my own failure from the outset of an effort? I suppose it doesn’t help that there is the ever-present pressure to do things perfectly. I feel the pressure for perfect results, but I am incapable of the depth of thought and analysis required to perfect an endeavor in the planning stage. I much prefer winging it, and making corrections, or finding out I really don’t care about the results at all.

In the end, I think I spend about the same amount of time as the perfectionist does…but probably a little more money…which is decidedly not perfect.

Thankfully, I am entering a stage of life where I can honestly say, WHO CARES! And be one of those who doesn’t care, and it’s getting easier all the time. I’m going to spend more time learning by doing, and enjoying the mistakes along the way…

As long as it doesn’t cost too much.


I AM still a Dutch girl, after all.

Comments

Tami said…
Such structure, energy and discipline! You will be my role model when I retire...because I am a tad worried about becoming a real slacker.
Les Hon said…
It's all penance for the many weeks that I have been a real slacker...and I recommend that you enjoy some slack time because you've never had any to speak of!

Popular Posts