A long neglected chore...

I vacuumed my fabric upholstered furniture today. It's an event -- because it doesn't happen very often.

My grandma did this same chore every week, and maybe my mom did too, for a while. I remember doing it for her on Saturdays. Me, not so much...but a while back, while sitting in the living room with guests, we laughed heartily at something, and I slapped my hand on the arm of the sofa and created a "poof" of dust.

That was motivating.

So now, 4 or 5 months later, I finally dug out the upholstery tool, and went to it.

BEFORE:

AFTER:
There! Doesn't that look better?!

Perhaps these kind of results have something to do with my motivation.

And for those of you who right now are composing a pithy comment about the dog I vacuumed off the couch, this note: No dogs were vacuumed or harmed in the making of this blog.
The Little Opportunist just jumped up there when she saw both my hands were busy.

But she did look pretty cute, didn't she....

  I digress...

I should report that despite the lack of visible change, I did perform a "poof" test, and we should be good again for a couple of years. I also checked for any spots on the upholstery and discovered that the fabric I chose causes vertigo when examined closely. I saw spots all over -- the room, I mean. Most spots weren't real -- but the bad news is I'm not sure which ones they were.

All this concern for the The Room Where Nobody Goes...
I never planned to have a room like that. In fact, I have always eschewed the practice of creating a "formal living room". My plan was that the family room was where the kids would gather, and the living room was where the adults would gather...But -- the family room is open to the dining room which is open to the kitchen, and everyone congregates there...
...which is lovely -- you know -- everyone wanting to be together.
In the meantime, my living room is lonely and has become The Place Where Flies Go to Die...
(and lately, Where Puppies Go to Do Stuff They Shouldn't)
Sounds pretty dire for a room that really looks pretty inviting...


I moved my glider chair in here because it's a pretty perfect room for reading -- sunshine over your shoulder (well, once in a while), cozy fireplace for the cold rainy days (all the time lately)...navy blue walls (okay maybe that's weird, but I love it)...a piano...a mix of old & new furniture...
I love sitting in here, sipping my coffee, reading my book...
But its a little lonely, so next time you stop by, make my day and sit with me in the living room.

But do it soon, before I have to vacuum again.

Comments

Janice said…
That is so funny because Emily just did the same thing to "Dad's chair'! Big ol' puff of dust! Guess what I'm doing tomorrow?? (and for the record I vacuum my furniture every couple months - I just have a hardworking husband that enjoys relaxing in his work clothes!!)

Popular Posts